Praying for our Christian family in the Holy Land is central to our work. We have seen plenty of evidence to show that awareness raising, starting through prayer, results in donations of time and money. This in turns results in support to our Christian brothers and sisters in the West Bank Bank, Gaza, Israel and Jordan, encouraging them and reminding them they are not forgotten.
We have our own FHL prayer which asks for guidance in our work supporting the Chrisitians of the Holy Land. Copies can be requested from our office by email or by ringing 01926 512980.
"Almighty and ever loving Father, we pray for the Christians living in the Holy Land.
Lord, may the light of your love shine down on our Christian brothers and sisters in the Holy Land. In your mercy grant them peace in their land, peace in their homes and peace in their hearts.
We pray for the work of Friends of the Holy Land, that it will bring healing and relief to those most in need. We ask you to guide Friends of the Holy Land and all who support its work by prayer, action and fund-raising.
Help pilgrims to the Holy Land to see the plight of their Christian brothers and sisters, and touch their hearts with compassion and love.
Lord, remember our fellow Christians in their greatest need, and help us not to forget them. Amen."
You can download a copy of the FHL prayer here
FHL Monthly Prayer Calendar
To inspire and engage our supporters to consider how they might pray for Christians in the Holy Land we have created the following themed prayer calendar. Each month we will show you suggested prayers for the current month and the next.
- January The elderly and the sick living in the Holy Land
- February The work of FHL, the team in the UK and in the Holy Land
- March A continued Christian presence in the Holy Land
- April Children in the Holy Land
- May Christians in Gaza
- June Communications - raising awareness of the challenges faced by Christians in the West Bank, Gaza, Israel and Jordan
- July The School of Joy and St Martha’s House
- August The Church and parishes of the Holy Land
- September Christian institutions in the Holy Land
- October Families in the Holy Land
- November Pilgrims visiting the Holy Land
- December Peace in the Holy Land
Prayer for December - 'Peace in the Holy Land'
“Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favour rests.” (Luke 2:13-14)
At the recent FHL National Gathering Sami El Yousef shared with us his concern about the dwindling number of Christians living in the Holy Land Many Christians choose to emigrate but for those who stay we pray for peace and reconciliation.
- For the Christians living in the Holy Land, that their faith will bring healing, forgiveness and strength so that they will have peace in their hearts.
- For peace in the local communities between people of all faiths.
- For the work of the institutions that are helping to maintain a Christian presence in the Holy Land.
- That people of all faiths will be treated fairly and with dignity and respect.
- For those working to promote a lasting peace and understanding among the people living in the Holy Land.
- For the leaders of the nations that they will encourage dialogue and reconciliation in the Middle East.
Prayer for January - 'The elderly and sick living in the Holy Land'
“For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. From my birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you. I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendour all day long. Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.” (Psalm 71:5-9)
Many elderly Christians in the Holy Land are living alone, their families having moved away to start new lives for themselves abroad. This leaves them feeling lonely and vulnerable. St Martha’s House is an FHL project that provides friendship and much-needed support for elderly ladies in Bethlehem. FHL also helps Christians to pay for unexpected medical bills and the cost of on-going treatment and medication for the chronically sick.
Please pray for the elderly and sick Christians in the Holy Land:
- For those who are lonely and have no close family to help them.
- For those worrying about their health and how they will pay for treatment.
- For the long-term sick.
- For the Christian hospitals in the Holy Land, particularly in Gaza and Ramallah and for all Christian doctors.
- For St Martha’s House and the work that it carries out.